DAY 1: Cusco Arrival And City Tour
Once arrival, private transportation to your hotel.
Guided Tour of Cusco and Surroundings
- Historical capital of Peru
- Incan and Spanish Colonial architecture
- Cathedral of Santo Domingo, a Baroque church built on the ruins of the opulent Incan Koricancha Palace (Temple of the Sun)
- Incan holy place of Q’enko, an amphitheater once used for ceremonial sacrifices
- Incan monument of Tambomachay, ceremonial site of water worship
- Sacsayhuaman, an Incan fortress and site of the IntiRaymi (Fiesta del Sol), most notable for its hand-carved stones up to 9m tall and weighing over 350 tons
- Incan tambo (travelers’ rest stop) of PukaPukar
Late Afternoon/Evening at Leisure: Suggested Activities
- Browse the markets for an alpaca wool sweater
- Meet the local people and savor the local dishes in one of Cusco’s many restaurants and cafes.
DAY 2: Sacred Valley Tour
Breakfast and Transfer Following an early breakfast at your Cusco hotel, a GOTOPERU representative will pick you up for a short bus ride to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Be sure to have your camera ready to capture the lush Andean landscapes and the traditional villages that dot the hillside!
- Pisac Visit This small town with its exquisite architecture is the perfect place to purchase authentic Andean souvenirs. As you browse through the selection of traditional clothing and crafts, you will easily understand why Pisac’s market has a reputation all its own.
- Tour of Ollantaytambo This Incan site began as a palace, but was eventually used in the last Incan stand against the invading Spanish conquistadors. Whether palace or fortress, these ruins offer an unforgettable view of the surrounding area.
- Transfer and Evening at Leisure After an exciting day of archaeological exploration, you will be escorted to the train station. Next destination Magical Aguas Calientes.
Trip Notes: Clay fire ovens. Traditional costumes. Agricultural traditions. Handmade crafts. Your day in the Sacred Valley will take you back in time over 500 years. When you are surrounded by the rich soil and small villages, you will quickly see why this beautiful place was so important to the Incan civilization, and why many still embrace this lifestyle still today.
DAY 3: Tour Machupicchu
After Breakfast you will be escort to take bus up to Machu Picchu.
- Guide tour of Machu Picchu given by an expert of the region and the culture
- A true history lesson of Machu Picchu and what it meant, what it means, and its significance throughout history
- A lesson on the site’s historic features, such as Sun Temple, the Sun Stone, and the Room of the Three Windows, where you will learn exactly what these locations were used for
- A truly once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity to capture the picturesque landscape
After Machu Picchu you are going back to Aguas Calientes to take your train back to Cusco. Once arrival , private transportation will escort you to your comfortable hotel.
DAY 4: Free Day Cusco
Free day to spend at your leisure.
DAY 5: Amazonas 1st Day
Reception at the airport. Transfer to our office located in the city of Puerto Maldonado. Luggage which you don’t need during your stay in the Rainforest can be kept in our storage room to facilitate the transport.
Embarkment at the port “Puerto de Capitanía” towards our Lodge: 40 minutes of navigation on the Madre de Dios River.
Arrival at the facilities of the Lodge Corto Maltes Amazonía, where you will be received with a refreshment of natural fruit of the season. Your guide will give you the necessary information for your stay and hand over the keys to your bungalow and security safe, followed by the lunch and some time to rest until the first excursion.
3:30 pm: Departure for your first contact with the Rainforest. Your guide will show you tropical trees, medicinal plants and the exuberant nature of the 60-hectare-area of Corto Maltés Amazonía. A short stop at a viewpoint where toucans and other birds can be spotted. The duration of this hike is 2 to 3 hours.
Back at the Lodge, you can relax at the pool or in the hammocks on the terrace of your bungalow, savor an exotic cocktail at the bar, enjoy a relaxing massage by our qualified staff, visit our shop for a handcrafted souvenir of the Rainforest or head to the riverside to view the breathtaking sunset.
7:00 pm: “Caiman Safari”. Before dinner, we will leave for a nocturnal boat trip to observe caimans and, with a bit of luck, other animals which populate the riverbank.
DAY 6: Amazonas 2nd Day
Wake up at 5:30 am for some coffee or tea before leaving for Lake Sandoval. Your guide will hand out a breakfast snack for the excursion.
6:00 am: After roughly 20 minutes of navigation on the river Madre de Dios, arrival at the landing stage of Lake Sandoval. During a 3 km hike through the exuberant vegetation, we will enter the territory of Tambopata National Reserve, where you will have the chance to admire giant trees, snakes, monkeys (squirrel monkeys, howler monkeys and capuchin monkeys) and various birds (notably the Hoatzin – also known as the stinkbird -, kingfishers and snakebirds).
Once on Lake Sandoval, we will navigate in small rowing boats, searching for the giant otters. We will also have the possibility to spot caimans, piranhas and a variety of birds.
We will then stop at a rest area, a typical construction for the region with hammocks, lavatories and a bar, where you can eat breakfast, rest and collect your strength for the way back to the landing stage and the continuation of the journey to Monkey Island.
On Monkey Island, about 5 species of monkeys live in the wild. The animals are used to visitors and can come very close. Therefore, it is very important to always follow the instructions of your guide.
1:30 pm: Return to the Lodge for lunch.
3:30 pm: Visit of one of the two lookout towers of Corto Maltès Amazonía, with a height of 20 and 42 meters and designed for birdwatching and viewing of other types of animals living at this altitude. In addition, you will enjoy an incredible view of the sunset.
(The guide will consult the guests on their preferences and adapt this excursion accordingly.)
You will then have some free time to enjoy the pool or a massage, get refreshed at the bar or visit our souvenir shop.
DAY 7: Amazonas 3rd Day And Transfer Out
Wake up at 5:30 am for some coffee or tea before leaving for a 20 minutes walk to the clay lick, where you will have the possibility to observe 3 to 5 types of parrots. The parrots come to the clay lick to ingest a particular kind of clay, to be found in certain areas of this region, and vital for the regulation of their metabolism. A colorful and veritable delightful and exciting event.
Return to the Lodge for Breakfast. After breakfast, transit to the city of Puerto Maldonado in our boats.
One of our vehicles will receive you at the port. After a short stop at our office, we will drive to the local market where the population supplies itself with food and other products. During a short visit, you will be able to appreciate the different typical products of the area. We will then head to the airport for the check-in and registration of your respective flights.